What is Die Casting?
Die casting is a high pressure metal casting process that forces molten metal into a mold. It produces dimensionally accurate precision metal parts with a high quality finish. Its ability to produce detailed parts makes it perfect for the mass production of products. Die castings are made from non-ferrous metals such as zinc, copper, aluminum, magnesium, lead, pewter, and tin.
The two methods of die casting are hot or cold chambers. The process that is used depends on the type of metal and the part. The cold chamber method is used with metals that have a high melting point such as alloys of aluminum, brass, or copper. Hot chamber die casting is limited to metals that won‘t dissolve when heated such as zinc, lead, and magnesium alloys.
The process of die casting is efficient, economical that offers a broad range of shapes and components. Parts produced have a long life and can be produced to be visually appealing giving designers significant advantages and benefits.
The high speed of die casting produces complex shapes with close tolerances requiring no after production processing. There is no need for additional tooling or shaping. Final parts are heat resistant with high tensile strength.
Depending on the feature and its size, tolerances of +/-.002" can be held in aluminum with tolerances of +/-.0005" in zinc.
|Cold Chamber Die Casting||Hot Chamber Die Casting|
Die Casting Advantages
Die casting can have significant advantages over other manufacturing processes, which often lead to major cost savings, not only in the part price itself but also in the overall cost of production. When you cast a part, you can create complex net shapes, including external threads and complex internal features with minimal draft angles—minimizing secondary operations. You can also combine multiple parts into a single part, eliminating assembly operations and lowering labor costs, with the added benefits of simplified stock control and greater component consistency.
Other benefits include:
- Variable wall thicknesses
- Tighter tolerances
- Fewer steps from raw material to finished part
- Fast production cycle times
- Reduction in material scrap
- Long tool life, especially for zinc and magnesium
Our Typical Die Casting Products
- Aluminum Die Casting Company Aluminum Die Casting Company
- Aluminum Die Casting Factory Aluminum Die Casting Factory
- Aluminum Die Casting Services Aluminum Die Casting Services
- Aluminum Die Casting Aluminum Die Casting
- Magnesium Die Casting Magnesium Die Casting
- Magnesium Die Casting Service Magnesium Die Casting Service
- Magnesium Die Casting Services Magnesium Die Casting Services
- Zinc Die Casting Manufacturer Zinc Die Casting Manufacturer
- Zinc Die Casting Part Zinc Die Casting Part
- Zinc Die Casting Service Zinc Die Casting Service